I’ve been wanting to cook this confinement dish for awhile because I’ve been craving it. This recipe is one of the better ones I’ve experimented with so far. It’s from misstamchiak!
Ingredients (serves 2-4)
– 500g medium to chicken thigh, chopped in pieces
– 3 slices ginger
– 2 tbsp sesame oil
– 2 tbsp red glutinous wine lees
– 1 tbsp red glutinous wine
– 3 slices ginger
– 1 tsp sesame oil
– 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
– 200ml red glutinuous wine (红槽酒)
– 1 tbsp red glutinous wine lees (红槽)
– some sugar
– 2 tbsp Hua Diao Jiu
1. In a bowl, marinade chicken with the marinade ingredients for 1 hour.
2. In a wok, pour in sesame oil. Then add ginger and stir fry till fragrant.
3. Add chicken pieces. Stir fry until the chicken is cooked on the surface.
4. Add in the seasonings and mix until the chicken is evenly coated.
5. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. If you can, flip the chicken pieces halfway through the cooking time for more even cooking.
6. If you prefer a richer wine aroma, drizzle Hua Diao Jiu onto the dish upon serving. Garnish with coriander. Enjoy with warm white rice.
I tried this recipe from epicurious as I was looking for recipes to use up my white wine. It was surprisingly easy to cook and delivered a very simple and delicious meal!
YIELDMakes 8 servings
- 2 3 1/2-pound whole chickens, each cut into 8 pieces
- 5 whole heads of garlic, cloves separated (about 70), unpeeled
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 6 very large fresh thyme sprigs
- Trim excess fat off chicken. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Lightly smash garlic cloves just to flatten slightly, leaving peel attached and cloves as whole as possible.
- Heat 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, add chicken and cook until brown on all sides, about 12 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to plate. Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and garlic to pot. Stir until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add wine and thyme; bring to boil. Return chicken to pot. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, moving chicken pieces from top to bottom every 5 minutes (sauce will not cover chicken), about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer chicken to platter. Spoon garlic cloves around chicken and drizzle sauce over.
I’ve been having the craving for this 红糟鸡 for the longest time. I decided that its time to be more adventurous and try making the 红糟酒 on my own (with help from mommy dearest of course). I found a few interesting renditions of recipes for the same wine lees.
Here’s a few:
Small Small Baker
All That Matters