And here’s the second recipe I tried.
Author: Pinch of Yum
Serves: 4 huge servings
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta (spaghetti, linguine, etc.) – I like DeLallo brand
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1½ cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- additional ¼ cup water, broth, milk or cream (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (more to taste)
- Pasta: Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside and toss with a little oil to prevent sticking.
- Mushrooms: Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add one clove of the garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until golden brown and softened. Set aside.
- Sauce: Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan and melt again over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant. Add the flour and herbes de provence. Stir fry for a minute to cook out the flour taste. Add the milk slowly, whisking to incorporate. Let the mixture simmer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble: Toss the sauce, pasta, and mushrooms together. Add the olive oil and water as needed to keep the sauce from getting too thick. Stir in the parsley just before serving.
Recipe by Pinch of Yum at http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-garlic-herb-mushroom-spaghetti