I found this recipe randomly and decided to try it out. It tastes great! I used half a fish instead of fish fillet like the author, but it turned out fantastic.
- 2 slices of Red Snapper Fish Fillet (mine is 380gm in total)
- 1 tsp Salt, to rub on the fish
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour / Tapioca Flour, to rub on the fish (optional)
- 75g Fermented Bean Paste, a.k.a 豆瓣酱 / 豆酱 “Tao-Cheo“
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Ginger, julienned
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Hot Shallot Oil
- Fried Shallot
- Spring Onions
- Coriander Leaves
- Clean fish, pat dry. Rub salt on the fish, and then pat some corn flour on it.
- Place some ginger on a steaming dish, place fish on top.
- Apply fermented bean paste on top of the fish. Just like spreading peanut butter on your bread, generously. Sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bring water in the steamer to a boil and steam fish over high heat for 7 minutes.
- While the fish is steaming half way, heat shallot oil and soy sauce in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove fish from the steamer, pour away excess steaming liquid.
- Drizzle hot shallot oil and soy sauce mixture over. Garnish and serve!