Another Noobcook recipe I want to try.
- 50 grams Chinese dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp whole white peppercorns
- 750 ml water use mushroom soaking liquid, filtered through a fine sieve. Then top up to 750ml with water
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 15 grams (about 1/2 tbsp) rock sugar
- small piece (little finger length) cinnamon stick
- 3 garlic cloves keep the skin on; bruised slightly
- 1 star anise
- 1 dried red chilli
- Soak mushrooms in a bowl of hot water for 30 minutes until softened, trim and discard stalks and squeeze out excess water from each mushroom cap.
- In a wok pan, add white peppercorns. Dry roast the peppercorns on medium low heat until you smell their aroma, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms with the rest of the ingredients at (A) in a small pot. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. Transfer the stewed mushrooms together with the stewing sauce in a small bowl and set aside. Optional: Keep the stewed mushrooms warm and tender by keeping in a mini slow cooker on low until serving time.
- Store braised mushrooms, with sauce and covered with lid, in the fridge for up to a week.