Cooking this for a get together this weekend. Found this recipe from Cuisine Paradise and going to try it! Its the closest to what I’ve always known as the basic ingredients of green bean soup anyway. Here goes:
Ingredients: (serves 4)
150g Green Bean(绿豆)
1 Medium Size Orange Sweet Potato
10 – 15 Pre-packed Ginkgo Nut, optional
1.5 Litres Water
1 Bundle of Pandan Leaves
Rock Sugar/brown sugar to Taste
Some Coconut Milk
Some Gula Malaka Syrup
1. Rinse a few times and remove any dirt or spoilt green beans from the pool then set them aside and bring a pot of 1.5 litres of water to boil.
2. Next remove the outer skin of the sweet potato, cut it into chunks and add them together with the green beans into the boiling water.
3. Rinse the pre-packed ginkgo nut and remove any greenish pith in the middle of the nut then marinate it with about 1 tablespoon of castor sugar and set aside.
4. When the green bean mixture comes to boil again, lower the heat and let it simmer over medium low heat till the bean begins to soften or cracks open. (takes about 15 minutes or so)
5. Add in the rinse sago, marinated ginkgo nut and pandan leave then continue to simmer till the sago becomes transparent.
6. Removed the pandan leave, add in rock sugar to taste.