Had a great meal at Subway with the boy, and was blown away by their newly introduced soups! Tomato bisque was one of them. Found this recipe here.
yields 4 servings
3 lbs roma tomatoes
2 T. olive oil
2 T. butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small sweet onion, minced
1 cup carrots, finely chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 T. fresh oregano (or 1 t. dried)
3 T. heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tomatoes into quarters and place on a large baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil liberally on the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper (about 1 t. each). Place tomatoes in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
2) Heat butter over medium-low heat in a large saucepan until it begins to foam. Add onions, garlic, and carrots. Sweat veggies until they are very tender (about 20 minutes).
3) In a blender or food processor place tomatoes and onion mixture and process until smooth. If the mixture is too dry add 1/4 cup of the chicken stock.
4) Pour mixture back into the saucepan and add stock and cream. Warm over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until it reaches desired serving temperature (about 5 minutes). Add the heavy cream and stir. Serve with grilled cheese or croutons.
Asiago Cheese Crouton Recipe
4 pieces sourdough bread
2 T. butter
1/3 cup shredded asiago cheese
1) Heat a skillet, panini-press, waffle-iron, or Foreman to medium. (I used a waffle iron for mine, that’s why they have the fun pattern).
2) Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread. Divide the cheese up between the two sandwiches.
3) Grill until crunchy. Allow to cool 1 minute before slicing. Slice into small cubes and serve on top of soup. Yum!